Tuesday, June 2, 2020

St Wolfgang and St Gilgen 2019 (Day Trip)

Day tripping to St Wolfgang and St Gilgen. I did not rent any car so we relied 100% on public transportation to move from one place to another. Of course you can cover more places if you choose to drive, but I opted to use public transports to save cost. And I find that in Austria, the public transport infrastructure (train and buses) are excellent, inexpensive and also pretty safe.

So we took Bus 150, after an hour of beautiful ride, we hopped off at Strobl Busbahnoff and changed to bus 546 to St Wolfgang. After about 15 minutes we arrived to a foggy St Wolfgang. Explored the small town a bit but most of the shops were not open yet as it was still early. Grabbed some pastry for snack and decided to go up the mountain.  

The scenic view from the bus ride
What a foggy morning
The town was still sleeping when we arrived at 8-ish


Rode the cog railway @ I call it choo choo train 😉 from lower station at Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut up to Schafberg. Due to construction work, it only went up to the middle station, the Schafbergalm. The steep ride up and down were so beautiful and up on the mountain it was sunny. You wouldn't expect that considering the fog down in the town. 

Enjoying the view from choo choo train

It was perfectly sunny up here

I wondered if he cycled up??

McDreamy..haha

Overlooking Mondsee

We spent quite some time up here, had our packed lunch as well while enjoying the view. I saw an elderly couple and offered to take their photos. Such a lovely couple. I can only dream of that :). One day, maybe.

It was already sunny in the town when we decided to go down. Lake Wolfgang looked so beautiful on a sunny day. We did not linger too long by the lakeside as I wanted to drop by at St Gilgen on the way back to Salzburg. 

Crystal clear lake

Beautiful view, if only I could can stay longer

We took the same bus that we came in and hopped off at Fuschl Am See for a little walk. The lake itself was just a 5 minutes walk from the bus stop. Peaceful place, I did not see any other tourist other than us. It was autumn at its best at the lake. St Wolfgang and St Gilgen are very laid back and not that touristy as compared to Hallstatt. You can also go on the cruise or go up the cable car here. I loved the serenity here. In my next post, I'll write about our day trip to Hallstatt.

In love with Autumn
In my elements










No comments:

Post a Comment